July 31 – August 4, 2013
CANNING DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Superintendent: Rosella Sawyer, Walpole 603 756-3404
Premiums 1st 2nd 3rd
Div A-M & Youth $3.00 $2.00 $1.00
Div N $6.00 $4.00 $2.00
Sweepstakes $10.00 $5.00 $3.00
“Love What’s Old, See What’s New” Theme Class – Mixed Pickles 1st $10 2nd $8 3rd $6
Divisions A-L Best Single Jar
A 1. Applesauce 4. Cherries 7. Plums 10. Strawberries
2. Blackberries 5. Peaches 8. Raspberries 11. Mincemeat
3. Blueberries 6. Pears 9. Rhubarb
B 1. Asparagus 5. Carrots, small whole 9. String beans, cut green 13. Tomatoes, cut
2. Beets, sliced 6. Corn, cut from cob 10. String beans, whole green 14. Tomatoes, whole
3. Beets, small whole 7. Peas 11. Succotash 15. Vegetables, combination
4. Carrots, sliced 8. Spinach 12. Swiss Chard 16. Vegetables, soup
17. Wax beans, cut
18. Wax beans, whole
C 1. Any meat
D 1. Mixed pickles 4. Ripe sweet cucumber pickles 7. Pickled beets
2. Sour cucumber pickles 5. Bread & butter pickles 8. Ketchup
3. Sweet cucumber pickles 6. Green tomato pickles 9. Sauerkraut
E 1. Relish, corn 2. Relish, cucumber 3. Relish, green tomato 4. Relish, zucchini 5. Salsa
F 1. Apple jelly 3. Crabapple jelly 5. Raspberry jelly 7. Any other jelly
2. Blackberry jelly 4. Grape jelly 6. Strawberry jelly
G 1. Blackberry jam 2. Blueberry jam 3. Raspberry jam 4. Strawberry jam 5. Any other jam
H Conserve, any variety
I Marmalade, any variety
J Chutney, any variety
K 1. Juice, fruit 2. Juice, vegetable
L Best single jar, anything not listed above
- Fruit 3. Pickle 5. Jam 7. Sauce
- Vegetable 4. Jelly 6. Relish
M Fruit Butter
N Best Exhibit, one jar each of : jelly, jam, conserve and marmalade
YOUTH DIVISION (14 years old or younger)
1. Mixed pickles 2. Bread & butter pickles 3. Sweet cucumber pickles
1. Apple jelly 2. Grape jelly 3. Strawberry jelly 4. Raspberry jelly
1. Blackberry jam 2. Blueberry jam 3. Raspberry jam 4. Strawberry jam
SWEEPSTAKES AWARD TO EXHIBITOR IN DIVISIONS A THRU L WINNING THE LARGEST NUMBER OF POINTS
NOTE: What the judges look for:
Containers: Clean jars of uncolored glass, clean labels correctly placed and rust-free lids. Judges would prefer exhibits with NO jar bands. Padded lids and fabric over-wraps interfere with the judging process and will be disqualified. No bail-and-rubber-style jars accepted. Exhibits must be labeled with the name of the food, the date preserved, and the method of food preservation. Entries without required labeling will not be judged.
Liquid: Appropriate amount from top, free from cloudiness and sediment.
Processing: Signs of spoilage and proper seal.
Product: Natural color, uniform size and shape, too large or small, too loosely or tightly packed, over or under ripe & signs of other material.
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Entries must be brought in between 4-7 PM, Tuesday, July 30, and must be removed between 6-7 PM, Monday, August 5.
- Each exhibitor must include a separate entry blank for Canning Dept. only, complete with signed and printed name, mailing address and list of all entries, that will be available when registering. For larger exhibits, entry blanks and ID tags should be filled out in advance of registration. Entry blanks are available online or at the Fair Office. ID tags are available at the Fair Office only.
- Division N – under product name, write: “4 Jar Exhibit”. Jars in Division N must be of uniform size.
- All canned products should be prepared and processed according to the correct USDA recommendations.
- Exhibits without competition will be judged on their own merit and will receive an award or placing only if determined worthy by the judges.
- All entries must be preserved within the last 12 months.
EXHIBITION HALL RULES & REGULATIONS
- The Exhibition Halls are open daily from 10 AM to 10 PM.
- All exhibitors are entitled to purchase passes at a discount. Vouchers to purchase passes are obtainable from each department superintendent.
- No item may be entered that has been exhibited in any previous year.
- The exhibitor will furnish all containers. The Cheshire Fair Association will not be responsible for loss or damage of containers, so please do not use valuable containers.
- The exhibitor must name all entries. Entry Form below or are available, along with Exhibit Tags, at the Fair Office.
- All decisions by the judges will be final.
- Entries are open to everyone in all departments, except when otherwise stated. (i.e. junior divisions)
- The Cheshire Fair Association will not be responsible for any accident or damage that may occur to persons or property while on the fairgrounds or on the road leading to the fairgrounds.
- Entries must remain for exhibit for the duration of the Fair. Any unauthorized removal of an exhibit will result in loss of premiums. See individual departments for times that exhibits may be picked up.
- Prize money and ribbons not claimed by designated pickup time are forfeited. Items not picked up will be donated to a local charity.
- Entries without competition will be judged on merit to the discretion of the judge in each department.
- Exhibits that could be entered in more than one division will be placed at the discretion of the judge.
- The Cheshire Fair Association reserves the right to prorate or defer premium payments, if necessary, should funds not be available to grant immediate payment.
- Any knowing violation of these rules and the rules of each department will disqualify the exhibitor from premium awards.